Lapco consultancy was launched in 2013 by Mark Coleman and Tom Cecil who are both leading Colorectal Consultants and Consultant Surgeons based in the UK. They specialise in laparoscopic colorectal surgery and surgical training and are passionate about improving surgical practices and patient care in hospitals through education.
Mark and Tom identified that healthcare systems around the world would benefit greatly from their expertise in improving safe adoption of cutting-edge, laparoscopic colorectal surgery resulting in better patient care.
They have since worked alongside a hand-picked team of other qualified and dedicated laparoscopic surgeons, to deliver and lectures, courses and hands on training in universities and hospitals via their consultancy service and comprehensive training programme.
As a result of its incredible achievements, Lapco is now recognised in the industry as being a leader in delivering bespoke consultancy and training, and continues to grow.
MEET THE EXPERTS
Mark has been a Colorectal Consultant and Consultant Surgeon since 2001, specialising in Laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer.
Mark is the UK's lead clinician with the National Training Programme in laparoscopic colorectal surgery. He delivers lectures and training in laparoscopic colorectal surgery, both nationally and internationally.
He was a medical undergraduate in Leicester, a junior anatomy lecturer at the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School and a SHO in various hospitals in the South East.
MARKS EXPERIENCE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
- Colorectal National Advisor to the Department of Health (DH)
- Enhanced Recovery and a National Advisor for DH National Training Programme for low rectal cancer (LoReC)
- Editorial Advisory Board for Colorectal Diseases Journal
- Chairman of External Affairs for the Association of Coloproctologists of Great Britain and Ireland
- Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) Skills Tutor for Plymouth
- Intercollegiate Basic Surgical Skills Course Convenor
- RCS Core Skills in Laparoscopic Surgery Course Convenor
- RCS (England) Regional Speciality Professional Advisor for GI Surgery for South West England.
- Committee member of the Peninsula Deanery School of Surgery.
In 2010, Mark launched the charity 'Bowel Cancer West' to support research, awareness and training of bowel cancer.
Tom has been a Consultant colorectal Surgeon, since 2002, specialising in laparoscopic colorectal surgery and peritoneal malignancy surgery. Since 2011 he has been Clinical Director of the Peritoneal Malignancy Institute in Basingstoke, one of the largest centres in the world in the treatment of peritoneal cancers. He has lectured extensively nationally and internationally on laparoscopic colorectal surgery and peritoneal malignancy and presented and published on both subjects.
In 2003, Tom set up the Peripherique laparoscopic training courses with laboratory skills courses, clinical workshops and hands on clinical immersion courses. In conjunction with Frimley park hospital he ran one of the Lapco training centres for laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
TOM'S EXPERIENCE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:
- A faculty member of National MDT/TME training programme
- Danish MDT laparoscopic training programme
- European laparoscopic masterclass
- Chair of the CSCCN Colorectal Network Site specific group
- Lead Clinician for the International Colorectal cancer Improvement programme
- On the Medical Advisory board of Bowel Cancer UK.
- Council of ACPGBI